Saturday, October 20, 2007

I can't stand "Rent."




I can't stand "Rent."

"525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year? In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee. In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love."

I've been capable of love since, let's say, when I was 14 years old. I'm 36 now, so that means 22 years. I've been in love three and a half times. So this means each year is 0.16 loves. How about love? Seems like love is a terrible way to measure a year. And this is the great idea they START the show with?

Shitdog!

4 comments:

Dandillilion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dandillilion said...

Literal much.

By the way, love, as so many people seem to mistakenly think, is not just romantic love. When they speak of love they're speaking of the love they share as a community, as friends, and yes, as lovers. So how many of your years have been filled with a community of friends, family? Hmm?

The message is that love is the only meaningful way to measure a year-- measured in anything else it is insignificant. People will measure it differently. And if someone's year is ".16" loves, then they obviously need to allow themselves to love more. Simple as that.

Be careful when you rant about stuff that includes literal evaluation; I'll take you seriously. :]

Shitdog!

Brad said...

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there were a few mistakes. The show opens with Tune-Up and Rent... Seasons of Love opens Act 2. If you watch this show you'll actually see it's really good.

Unknown said...

Dearest Dandillilion -

Oh my gosh, poetry. Your response is poetic justice to the many aspirations of love in our world. Thank You! I am so in love with the concept of love in all it's manifistations (agape, romantic, brotherly, familial, paternal, for country, for spirit kindred in one belief, ...) I think I just fell in love with your spirit - if not you!